Sunday, May 31, 2015

An Amazing Ride

Hi Sweetpea,

Daddy and I are at Smith Mountain Lake for the weekend with a few close friends. The weather has been perfect, and we have had so much fun.

The last time we were here was Labor Day weekend of 2014.  I remember it well, because it is the weekend we announced to our friends that we were pregnant. We had just had our 14 week ultrasound that Friday afternoon. We brought our ultrasound pictures and a cake to the lake that read, "Happy Labor Day from Baby Rankin!" There were a few tears when we shared the news, but mostly there was a whole lot of laughter because thanks to hints from Daddy, our friends had long guessed that we had a baby on the way. (Your daddy has never been able to keep a secret or a surprise for very long. I usually get any gift Daddy buys me the same day he buys it. It is one of the things I find endearing about him.)

That weekend was a really happy weekend, and surprisingly this weekend has been too. Sometimes, I'm surprised that I can still have moments where I find myself so content and happy. But then I remember that we were made to be happy:
"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say, Rejoice. (Philippians 4:4) 
"You make down to the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." (Psalm 16:11) 
"Always be joyful." (1 Thessalonians 5:16) 
We took a long boat ride yesterday, and I looked everywhere for a sign you were with us. I finally spotted a "M"-shaped cloud in the sky.  Once I knew what to look for, I was able to find a few more. It was a beautiful day.

This morning we took an early morning jet ski ride. Daddy will think I'm being cheesy (hopefully something he finds endearing about me), but our ride reminded me of life in a few ways. You hold on tightly to your partner. You have to lean into the turns. At times you have shout above the noise. Sometimes it is smooth sailing, and other times you think you might get beat to death by the choppy waters. But overall, it is an amazing ride.

Love,

Mommy


Labor Day Weekend 2014


    



1st Weekend at the Lake 2015

   




No comments: