Monday, July 20, 2015

Kindness and Courage


Hi Sweetpea,

I came across this quote tonight by Adam Lindsay Gordon, "Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone - kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own."  I thought it was a perfect quote to end my day, because I witnessed both kindness and courage today. 

The kindness came from a grieving widow whom I have never met in person. This sweet woman lost the love of her life just a few short months ago. We met on the intranet by happenstance and shared our stories. Although our circumstances are vastly different, we had an immediate connection. We can relate to each other's heartache and pain. 

I arrived home today from work to a large package from her. I opened the package to find the most beautiful snow globe with your name engraved on the front. A mother elephant snuggles with her baby inside. When the globe is wound up, a sweet tune plays as momma and her baby dance in circles. The sweet card reads, "When I saw this, it made me think of Morris right away."  The globe now adorns the top of your dresser in the nursery along with all my other Morris treasures.


The courage I witnessed was shown by a fellow mother to an angel who lost her firstborn son when he was only a few months old. Today would have been his 6th birthday. This mother has bravely shared her story, her strength, and her steadfastness in the hopes that it might help someone. And it has...it has helped me. 

People say that the first year after the loss of a loved one is the hardest, but I'm most fearful about the years that come after this one. I'm overwhelmed by the lifetime of hurt and pain that losing you has subjected me to, and I wonder how it is possible to carry such a heavy burden for so long. When I hear the stories of women who are surviving the heartache and see the smiling faces of women who have found a way to keep moving, I'm encouraged. I am reminded that God will get me through this first year and all the years to come. 

Daddy and I took Abby and Izzy for a short walk this evening. We stopped by Aunt Becca's house for a little while. As we sat on the back porch watching two sweet girls and four crazy dogs play, I was reminded that life is good and that we have much to be thankful for.  It seems that all we hear about on the news is the evil, corruptness and dishonesty in this world.  There is a lot of that to be sure, but I have witnessed firsthand over the last several months that there is plenty of kindness and courage too. 

Love,

Mommy





No comments: