Darling Morris,
A little over a month ago, I opened our front door to find a bird's nest built inside the Morris' wreath that Gramy gave us. It didn't have an egg in it yet, but I didn't have the heart to move it knowing some poor bird had worked so hard to build it. I told Daddy that we just wouldn't be able to use our front door for a while.
Several days later, I was on the front porch, and I spotted a little blue egg crushed on the ground not far from the wreath. There had been a good bit of wind that week, and I can only imagine that the wind knocked the wreath around, and the little egg fell out. I couldn't help but wonder what that momma bird had felt when she had come back to an empty nest.
I was devastated for her. I cried for her. I was angry for her. I know it is a silly reaction, and I know that birds probably don't feel the same emotions as we do, but my heart broke for this momma bird. It seemed so cruel that she too would have to endure the loss of her precious baby.
A few days later, I removed the nest from the wreath and threw it away. It hurt to see that empty nest, a physical reminder of what I and this momma bird had lost. Just a day or so later, I saw a Pinterest trick for keeping birds from building nests in wreaths that I meant to try, but I never got around to it. (Put a dryer sheet in it, in case you are wondering!)
This morning, I opened the front door, and to my delight and surprise I found a new nest. A new nest with a little blue egg snuggled safely inside.
I'm amazed at Momma Bird's resilience. I'm so happy for her and her new little egg. At the same time, I'm anxious for her. I'm worried that another windy day might take it all away from her again. I'm tempted to step in and try to fix it, to make her nest and my wreath a little safer, but I know that is a bad idea. I just want her little baby bird to be born so badly. For her sake and for mine.
And so I find myself praying for a bird this morning. Begging God to protect this momma bird and her egg. Pleading to Him to hold back the wind for just a few weeks. Asking Him to let this little blue egg be a symbol of hope. "As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy." (James 5:11)
And once again, I'm telling Daddy to please not use the front door.
Love,
Mommy
4 comments:
:)
I've been keeping up with the blog ever since you told me about it on your first visit to the t-shirt shop. I love all the entries, but this one made my heart smile. Only a truly loving soul could do what you are doing everyday. Keep up the fantastic mommying you are doing!!!
Thank you! Hope, I was reminded of your butterfly story after reading your comment. God speaks to our hearts in mysterious ways sometimes!
Funny you should mention the butterfly. My husband, son, and I(our teenager had better things to do...lol)went hiking and exploring on Saturday before Memorial Day. We went along the App Trail down near Big Island, and there was this beautiful blue butterfly. We walked around Otter Lake and there again was this beautiful blue butterfly. We walked and drove all along Panther Falls and again a beautiful blue butterfly. My mother would have loved to have physically been with us at all these places(she loved hiking and exploring), but since she couldn't in her human form she decided to spend the day with us in her butterfly phase. It was fantastic. My husband and son were just amazed that this butterfly was everywhere we were, but I knew it was her spending time with us.
Post a Comment