Daddy and I welcomed a new puppy into our family this weekend. We had a hard time picking a name. I liked Izzy; Daddy liked Quinn. We compromised and named her Isabelle Quinn - "Izzy" for short. She is sweet, goofy, clumsy, and a perfect fit for our family. Abby seems a little unsure of her new sister, but I think they will soon be the best of friends.
Daddy has wanted a second dog for a few years now, but I've always said no. Suprisingly, I'm sort of the reason that Izzy is here. Last Saturday, I went with some friends to the downtown farmer's market and to the toy store. On a whim, we decided it would be fun to stop in at the pet store before we went home and see what kind of puppies they had in. I spotted Izzy (the pet store called her Bambi), and I knew Daddy would love her. I texted him a picture of her, and he immediately texted back and told me that we should get her. I laughed when I read his message and texted him back that we'd talk about it (that usually means no in women speak).
Daddy didn't really say much about it for the next few days. Then on Thursday morning, I got a call from Daddy. He was at the pet store visiting with Izzy, and it was clear that he was smitten with her. I met him at the pet store at lunchtime, and we played with her together for a little while. I left the pet store saying, "We'll see...", but I knew deep down that Izzy had found her forever home.
Even after giving in, I still had my doubts about committing to the headache of raising a puppy and having two dogs in the house. But after spending time with Izzy these last two days, I realize that she is just what we needed right now. We spent the eight months before you died expecting our life to change. When you didn't come home with us, we lost more than just a child. The life we had planned, the life we were supposed to have...it was taken too. The last several months of my life have felt so incomplete. The change that was supposed to happen but didn't is so obvious. It hangs heavy in our home and on our hearts. Sometimes it feels like we are still waiting for you to come home.
Obviously, a puppy could never replace you; no one and nothing will ever replace you. My heart still aches for you to be with us. But Izzy serves as the change that I so desperately needed, and she gives my love a physical place to go. She needs me to take care of her. She counts on me to feed her, to play with her, to love her. She wants my attention. She snuggles up next to me, lays her head on my lap, and gives me sweet puppy kisses. Last night, as Daddy watched Izzy and I together, he got a little teary-eyed. He wistfully said, "This is the happiest I've seen you in a long time. I wish Morris was here to meet Izzy."
Oh Morris, how I wish you were too.
Love,
Mommy
| Izzy with your stuffed elephant...I like to think that maybe you had something to do with helping Izzy find her way home. |
No comments:
Post a Comment