This past Monday was one year to the day that Daddy and I first found out about you. It is overwhelming to think about just how much has happened in that year.
I remember the morning we found out we were pregnant so well. I was headed to a business conference in Orlando that morning, and I had to leave for the airport by 6 am. I never sleep well when I have to be up early to get ready and pack last minute essentials, so I found myself awake at 3:30 am. I got up to go to the bathroom, and on a whim, I decided to take a pregnancy test. I didn't think I was pregnant, but I figured since I'd probably have a glass of wine or two and maybe visit an amusement park in the next few days, I should take a test to be sure.
Morris, I wasn't prepared for the instant love I felt for you when I saw that second pink line. I immediately started crying. For a moment, I was in total shock. Daddy says my scream woke him up and scared him half to death. Pretty soon, we were both in the bathroom crying. I made Daddy dig out the instructions to the test to make sure that a second line did in fact mean I was pregnant. My insistence that we document every moment of our pregnancy started then, and even though Daddy thought it was silly, I made him take a selfie of us with the positive test. It was the happiest moment of my life.
It was about 4:30 in the morning when I texted your Aunt Becca to see if she was awake with cousin Abigail. She replied that she was, and so I sent her a message that said I was coming up. In hindsight, that was probably was a little cruel, as Aunt Becca told me later that she believed she was about to get the worst news of her life. Uncle Dustin probably thought something horrible had happened too when I burst into their house crying as soon as he opened the door. It wasn't long though before we were all in tears as we sat on the bed excitedly telling Abigail about her new cousin.
I must have taken 10 pregnancy tests that week. We waited until we had a confirmation ultrasound to tell Gramy and Papaw and Bball and Grandaddy about you. For Gramy and Papaw, we shared the news by having your cousins wear shirts that said "Big Cousin". It took a little while for them to get it, and we captured some pretty funny videos of them trying to figure it out. We showed up at Bball and Grandaddy's house with Abby in a shirt that read, "Big Sister Abby".
I guess I'm a sap for country songs, because this one pretty much explains how I feel about those eight wonderful months I spent carrying you:
"And nowLove,
I"m glad I didn't know
The way it all would end
The way it all would go
Our lives
Are better left to chance.
I could have missed the pain,
But I'd have had to miss
The dance." (The Dance, Garth Brooks)
Mommy
Your very first picture, 7 weeks, 2 days pregnant
"Big Cousin" Announcement to Gramy and Papaw
Abby in her Big Sister shirt.
No comments:
Post a Comment