Thursday, April 30, 2015

Do Not Fear

Hi Baby Boy,

Last night Daddy and I watched some TV, including a reality show where the setting was New Year's Day of this year.  As we watched the show, I couldn't help but think how very different this year has turned out to be from the year I was planning. Maybe because of where I am emotionally, I am hyper-aware of all the sadness in the world right now, but it seems to me that 2015 arrived with a vengeance.

The death of so many loved ones. The loss of beloved pets. Mass murders and terrorist attacks on a weekly if not daily basis so far this year. An earthquake and utter devastation in Nepal. Ciaos and uncertainty in Baltimore. It is hard to turn on the news even for a few minutes and not feel overwhelmed by it all.

I've been reading a book titled Fight Back With Joy written by Christian author Margaret Feinberg. Last night's chapter was based on Paul's letter to the Philippians. I came across two powerful passages written by Margaret that struck me as not only relevant to me in my current situation, but relevant to anyone living in this messed up world right now:
"We rarely choose what is subtracted from our lives, but we can choose how we respond. How we reorganize our lives in order to move forward.The journey to joy leads to greater dependence on Christ." 
A passage found a few pages later, "In weakness and limits, Paul discovers Christ as the source of his strength. Paul wants us to walk in the confidence that God is our Tower of strength when we feel toppled. Our Advocate when we feel abandoned. Our Comforter when we feel crushed. Our Grace Giver when the thorn in our flesh won't budge. The severity of our hardship increases our opportunity to depend on God. In those moments divine grace seeps through the ruins, softens our wills, and takes us to deeper places than we could venture on our own. Our weaknesses become ripe opportunities for his infinite power to be displayed. We radiate God's glory."
When disaster strikes, when we are surrounded by injustice, and when hate seems as if it will prevail, we feel alone, weak and scared. But we aren't alone. The One above has more than enough strength for all of us to share. Over and over His Word tells us, "Do not fear." I can only imagine what a different place this world would be if people everywhere could hear, believe, and live those words today.

Love,

Mommy


 

No comments: