Sunday, April 26, 2015

Team Moments with Morris

Hi Sweetheart,

I wish I could have seen your face as you looked down today and saw all the Moments with Morris t-shirts running and walking the rolling hills of Dayton, VA. Your family and friends showed up in a big way to honor you and your friends in heaven by participating in the Sadie Rose Foundation's Annual 5K. Here are a few highlights from the day that I want you to know:

  • We had over 60 people signed up to participate in your honor. Many more showed up today to participate, and others came to hang out and cheer on our team members as they crossed the finish line. Our youngest attendee was just 4 weeks old (Jackson), and our oldest attendees were 75 years old (your Great Papaw and Great Mamaw). We had people come from Richmond, Woodbridge, and Pittsburgh!
  • All week the forecast for today has been rain.  In fact, as recently as Friday, the forecast said that the chance of rain was 70% and the temperature would be in the 50's.  A lot of people prayed for the weather, and God answered those prayers with a beautiful, sunny day and perfect temps. 
  • Gramy and Aunt Becca arranged for a photographer to come capture the day.  She was amazing, and I can't wait to see all the great photos of our friends and family.
  • Our team ended up with 6 winners for their age group. A big shocker for those who know him - your Papaw was one of our winners! Papaw wore his "Morris" necklace that has a cross and dogtag engraved with your name and birth date. He said he loved running to the sound of "Morris' jingle." Daddy didn't win a prize, but he ran almost the whole way. Some of the folks on our team finished their very first 5K today. I'm so proud of everyone!

I started out the day with tears, but I am ending the day with a smile. I couldn't be prouder of our Moments with Morris team. The money we helped raise will make such a difference for those in the community who have suffered the loss of a child.  I wanted to close my letter to you by sharing the words I said to our friends and family this morning:

"Ryan and I are blown away by how many of you came today to honor our sweet Morris. The Sadie Rose Foundation has been a big part of my healing process, and I am grateful for the support that this wonderful organization is receiving through our Moments with Morris team. The founder of the organization, Regina, tells me that we hold the record for the largest team to attend the event. Today is about raising money and increasing visibility for a good cause, but it is about so much more than that for me. Ryan and I made the decision a while ago that we wouldn’t have a formal memorial service for Morris. Saying goodbye to him the morning after he was born was the hardest day of our lives, and we knew that we couldn’t face another day like that one. So for us, today is a day that we will celebrate Morris’ short life and the impact he has made on our lives by making us parents.

I know that in addition to honoring Morris, many of you walk today to honor other children lost through miscarriage, stillbirth, illness or another type of tragedy. While our shirts honor Morris, these other precious children are not forgotten. Please join me in wearing a blue and pink ribbon to honor all the children who left this world too soon.

Ryan and I have been so blessed by your cards, messages, calls, visits and gifts in the last several months.  I don’t think there has been a difficult day yet when someone hasn’t reached out in some way to let me know they were thinking of us. It means a lot. Losing Morris is the most difficult thing that we’ve ever gone through, and we are so thankful for the love and support you have shown us during this time.

When someone dies, we often say we “lost” that person.  I used to think it an odd description, because our loved ones aren’t something we’ve misplaced like a set of keys or a cell phone.  But since Morris’ passing, I have found comfort in thinking of him as “lost” because something that is lost can be found. The words of Jesus’ in John 14, 2-6:

In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going. Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

Because of my relationship with Jesus, I will find Morris in heaven one day. When the time comes, I hope that I find each one of you there too.

Thank you again for being here for us.  We love you all."

Morris, I know that I will never have closure...closure isn't something that is possible when you've lost such a big piece of yourself. But moments like today, moments when we are able to celebrate and cherish your short life, at least keep my heart full until I can see you again. I'll take as many "Moments with Morris" as I can get in this lifetime.

Love,

Mommy 




Aunt Becca, Mommy, and Gramy on Mile #1


Papaw came in 3rd place for his age group!

Daddy and Mommy after the 5K




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful way to remember Morris and so many others. You inspire us.

Donna A said...

Precious memor.

Keri Rankin said...

Thank you! It was a wonderful day, and we were blessed to have so many friends and family members rally around us.