For a second time this year, I wanted to use my blog to write directly to you.
Etiquette websites say that you should send out thank you notes within 2-3 weeks of a funeral, death, or act of remembrance. The notes should be personalized, handwritten and at least 3-4 sentences long. I must apologize to you all - I never got around to sending out most of the thank you notes that we should have sent out in the weeks and months following Morris' death. Please know that if we missed sending you a note, it isn't because we aren't grateful for the continuous support you have shown us during this time. Nothing could be further from the truth. Ryan and I have been overwhelmed by your love, kindness and compassion.
As someone who believes in good etiquette and manners, I have felt increasingly guilty for the missing thank you notes. Several weeks ago, I had an idea to remedy the situation by sending out Christmas cards with a personalized note to each of you. But as I scrolled through the card designs, I just couldn't bring myself to pick one out. The cards were filled with photos of happy families, smiling children and words of holiday cheer, just as holiday cards are meant to be. My heart hurt knowing that Morris' sweet face wouldn't adorn our card this year.
So instead of a hand-written thank you card or a Christmas card from us, I am breaking all the rules and writing this non-personalized, electronic, more-than-three-sentences note to you. Since I know many of you personally, I know that you won't begrudge me this. In fact, knowing you the way I do, I am sure that many of you never expected anything from us in the first place. But the truth is, although I couldn't bring myself to say it in a card, you deserve much more than a simple thank you.
On our worst and darkest days this year, we received glimmers of hope and love from you. Your sweet texts, cards, phone calls, and gifts sustained us on the days that we wanted to fall apart. Your mention of our son's name and the stories you've shared about how he has impacted your life held the pieces of our broken hearts together. Your kind actions and words in memory of Morris continue to ensure that our son's legacy extends beyond the 8 months that I carried him in my womb. A simple thank you could not even come close to letting you know how deeply these things touch our souls or how eternally indebted we are to you for what you've done. Not a day goes by that we don't think to ourselves how lucky we are to have you in our lives.
The great thing about sending you an electronic letter is that there is no ink to be smeared by the tears that I cry writing it. As I type this letter to you, I am painfully aware that it has been a hard year for so many of you too. The old saying about March goes, "In like a Lion, out like a Lamb," but that sediment must not apply to years, because 2015 has been difficult from the start and continues to throw curve balls even now. Just last night I heard the devastating news of a little girl losing her battle with cancer. When I hear of a family having to say goodbye to a child, no matter the circumstance, I feel physically sick to my stomach. Whether our stories are similar or very different, my heart hurts for the family because it knows the pain, heartache, and longing that they now face.
This year has been a terrible year, no doubt, but there is still hope. I want to close my letter to you with a gift. It might be a gift that some of you already have, and it might be a gift that some of you don't want. I want to give it anyway. Last Sunday at church, a sermon series concluded with the importance of sharing the Gospel. My sweet friends and family, if you have never really heard the Gospel, or if you've heard it before and never accepted it, please know:
God created us to be with him. (Genesis 1)
Our sins separate us from God. (Genesis 3)
Sins cannot be removed by good deeds. (Genesis 4 - Malachi 4)
Paying the price for sin, Jesus died and rose again. (Matthew - Luke)
Everyone who trusts in Him alone has eternal life. (John)
Life with Jesus starts now and lasts forever. (Acts - Revelation)
Watch the video at Life in 6 Words
Love and wishes for a Merry Christmas,
Keri
![]() |
| Our Christmas tree lighting at Morris park. Merry Christmas to our Family and Friends! |

4 comments:
Keri,
You continue to inspire us with your insight and thoughtfulness. Memories of Morris and the people he brought into your life will stay with you forever. We wish you both a peaceful holiday season filled with love. Jane & Jimmy Gunter
Thank you for the kind words! The support and love we receive from our friends and family is what keeps us going! Happy Holidays to you both!
Keri. We don't know each other, but I have read your words all year long. I am utterly amazed, moved, and sometimes broken hearted at the truth you share. Only through the salvation of Jesus, can we have hope, even heart breaking hope. I have seen and felt Jesus through Morris's story. Thank you for your honesty and your heart. This goes out to Ryan also.
Thank you Donna! It means so much to hear how Morris' story has impacted other people's life and faith. We are blessed to have so many supporters, and we love each and every person who has reached out to us in some way this year!
Post a Comment