Thursday, December 31, 2015

All Things New


Hi Sweetie,

On the eve of the new year, I find myself feeling a little sad. This year has brought so much heartache and tragedy, and I've said a few times that I was ready for it to be over. But in the past week or so, I've found myself wanting to hold on to 2015 a little longer. Time marches on so quickly, and it continues to take us further and further away from those last moments that we spent with you. It sounds silly I know, but somehow entering a new year seems like losing another connection to you.

Papaw built a ball to drop in Morris Park tonight. I've only seen pictures of it, but it looks amazing, and I can't wait to see it in person. We are dropping the ball earlier than midnight so that your cousins and other young family members/friends can participate. I am so grateful to Grami and Papaw for finding a way to include you in every special occasion this year. Since the unveiling of Morris Park, we've held several family get-togethers there. We've Trick-or-Treated, held a Christmas tree lighting, and now a ball drop. You are always remembered when we are in Morris Park.

It is easy to focus on all the bad things that happened in 2015, but I want the year to go out with me remembering all the good things that happened. Grami wrote a poem a few weeks ago that I put to pictures and music.  As I compiled it, I was reminded of so many of the good things, and I've been making a list in my head ever since:

  • Your cousin Abigail learned to walk and say our names (Aunt "Kee" & Uncle "I-an").
  • Daddy and I got to "meet" you and see your beautiful face. We experienced a perfect goodbye.
  • Our family felt (and continues to feel) the outpouring of love from our friends and community in our grief. 
  • Our Godson Jackson was born, and Daddy and I were among the very first to hold him.
  • Daddy and I saw a breathtaking field of Bluebonnets in TX that we nick-named "Morris' field."
  • Papaw finished in 3rd place for his age group at his first ever 5k. He was part of a team of more than 50 people who participated in your honor.
  • Our sweet pup Izzy joined the family, bringing so much love and joy with her. 
  • Morris Park was unveiled in Grami & Papaw's backyard.
  • I conquered my fears and took flights in a 1942 Stearman and a Cesna 210.
  • A basketball tournament that will be held in the month of March (the month of your original due date) was named in your honor.
  • Daddy and I ice skated at the iconic Rockefeller Center Rink on Christmas morning in memory of you...it was my very first time ice skating!
  • I made countless new friends in people I met through the Sadie Rose Foundation and other people I met in your passing.
  • My faith and my relationship with God strengthened. 

This year wasn't the year that we expected, but it is a year that we made the most of in every way that we could. I don't know what 2016 yet holds for us, but I know God has a plan.  He makes all things new again.

Love,

Mommy



No comments: