Saturday, December 17, 2016

The Rankin Family Christmas Card

Dear Friends and Family,

Last year, I wrote you a Christmas letter on my blog instead of sending a Christmas card. At the time, my heart was broken, and I couldn't make myself choose a card knowing that a picture of our sweet family of three wouldn't adorn it. This year, my heart still breaks to hold my firstborn son, but I have two beautiful new babies to brighten the face of a card. Unfortunately, I just don't have time to mail a card this year.  I'll hold out hope for next year (but I won't make any promises!).

It has been another year of roller coaster emotions for Ryan and I, but thankfully there have been more ups than downs. We kicked off the 2016 New Year in Morris Park with a special ball drop that my dad crafted. As we welcomed the new year, I prayed hard that it would be better than the last. Little did we know when the ball dropped that this year would have more in store for us than we could have possibly imagined. Little did we know that I was already carrying two precious miracles.

Although this year has brought us so very much to be thankful for, it wasn't the easiest year for me. I struggled with high anxiety levels throughout my pregnancy.  We were faced with worries about my grandparents' health at times. Friends and coworkers lost loved ones, and sweet little ones that we had come to know took their last breaths here on earth.  The world seemed to become a scarier place as the year went on. Ryan and I haven't slept well these last few months, and the stress of being new parents has certainly created times where one of us or neither of us has been at our best.

The birth of our rainbow twins has far out-shadowed any negative that this year brought though. There have been moments that Ryan and I have found ourselves in happy tears as we've gazed down at Baylor and Griffin's sweet faces.  How such tiny smiles can make everything in the world right, I'll never know.  What I do know is that God has blessed us far more than we deserve, and I am forever grateful.

I owe so many of you a big thank you. I will never in my lifetime be able to repay you for the kindness and love you've shown us.  You have shared in the very worst and very best moments of my life. It never seems to fail that when I need you, you show up in a big way. Nearly two years after our journey with you began, you continue to amaze me with your kindness and generosity. Just this week, I received a special gift from a friend that celebrates Morris and the twin's lives.  I wish it was possible for me to convey to you just how much these gestures have meant to me, but even I can't find the words. However, I recalled something that someone said to my mom on Thanksgiving Day, and it made me realize that perhaps no words are needed.

Our extended family has always included the relatives of our immediate family members.  I don't know if it ever occurred to me growing up that not all families work this way.  But my grandparents always hosted family dinners, and everyone including my other set of grandparents and my aunt's family was welcome.  We got to know her family well, and it has always been like being part of one large, extended family. This Thanksgiving, my aunt hosted dinner at her home. My parents, grandparents, and cousins all attended, along with my aunt's family. It was the first big family outing that the twins had attended.

My mom shared with me later that as the babies were being passed around that day, my aunt's mother smiled and said to her, "These babies belong to everyone."  I can't even type the sentence without tears falling because it is exactly how I feel, and it makes me so incredibly happy. To know that our children, all three of them, are loved by so many people is simply overwhelming to me.

I can't find the words to say thank you in the way that you all deserve, but I promise to keep sharing our story and babies with you. Its a story that you've become such an important part of these last few years, and these babies are ones that you have wished for, prayed for, loved and supported every step of the way. Know that every time we post a picture or share a story about them, we are grateful to you for your part in making it all possible. We love you all so very, very much.

And if someone special will be missing from around your tree this year, please know that you are covered in our prayers and our love.

Merry Christmas,

Keri





1 comment:

Lisa Jones said...

Looks like you had an amazing blog, gorgeous photos.. family tree frame